Re: The speed of gravity

At 06:12 2002/09/05, Paul Johnson wrote:
Michael, Perhaps I'm the only one who doesn't know how it will turn out. How
do you think it will?

Hugh Haskell and Bernard Cleyet both pointed out, in earlier responses to
this thread, things that also made me uncomfortable about the description
of the experiment; they should both be complimented on noticing the misuse
of scientific language and glossing-over of certain details without
receiving any hints from me (other than the initial direction to the
article's hyperlink). As you can see, when I proposed this as an
"interesting read", I was hoping to provoke discussion on several fronts,
and the members of this list did not disappoint me! :-)

Although the experiment is not described with ideal clarity, I interpreted
it as an investigation into the speed of propagation of gravitational
fluctuations (gravitons?). I shall bravely assume that the experiment will
be planned, conducted, and analyzed somewhat more carefully than its
announcement. Under these circumstances, I expect experimental findings to
confirm (not prove!) Einstein's prediction that these fluctuations
propagate at the speed of EM radiation in vacuum.

--MB