----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
However, on the same day I read that portion of
his book, the snail mail
brought my
monthly copy of The Costco Connection. Each month
therein is a debatable
question. This month's is "Should public schools
require students to
wear uniforms?" Eighty per cent of the respondents
said, "Yes." Talk
about forced conforming.

If we want to know why the public schools can't make
any headway on the
problems they face, we need only look to the above
comment. When something
is proposed that would have a measurable effect on
improving the school
LEARNING climate, it is immediately opposed by some
misguided 'civil
liberties' concern. If the proposal gets a little
father--then the lawyers
will jump in. We should always keep in mind why the
tax payers are footing
the bill for public education--I think it is to
produce citizens with the
skills and knowledge to be contributors to the
society. As much as
possible, those factors that significantly detract
from that goal should be
eliminated.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Mac versions of Lab Simulations