Re: The sign of g

At 9:12 PM -0400 9/3/02, Joe Heafner wrote:
From: Larry Smith <larry.smith@SNOW.EDU>

Or is it the local gravitational field strength?

I agree that it can be interpreted that way. In fact, I wish the
textbook's did it that way to be consistent with the field approach in e&m.

Ahhh, it is more than a mere choice of words; what do we really _mean_ by
g? And they don't have the same value; i.e. the acceleration of objects in
free-fall near the surface of the earth is not the same as the local
gravitational field vector. The former is affected by the spinning earth,
the latter (in classical physics) is not. The values of g in x = (1/2) g
t^2 and F (or W) = mg are not technically the same if the latter g is the
field strength. And while the dimensions are the same, the units usually
reflect whether we are meaning an acceleration (m/s^2) or a field strength
(N/kg).