From: "John S. Denker" <jsd@MONMOUTH.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2002 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: corrupting the youth

Compass needles are not one-dimensional abstractions.
In effect they have chiral belts around their fat
middles, and the markings on the belts say "my magnetic
bivector circulates that-a-way".

If you don't visualize this belt, you will misunderstand
the symmetry of the system. You'll have a paradox on
your hands. (If you don't see the original (mis)statement
of the problem to be paradoxical, i.e. if you really
think the set-up has reflection symmetry in the plane,
then you really don't understand the symmetry of the
physics of electromagnetism.)

If you do visualize this belt, you can add the magnetic
bivector of the macroscopic current loop (which lies in
the plane) to the bivector of the belt (which is not in
the plane) using geometric and physical techniques as
illustrated in this figure
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/gif48/add-bivectors.gif
or the equivalent mathematics (Clifford Algebra).