Re: Nature of Science (NOS)

At 11:39 -0700 9/1/02, Larry Woolf wrote:

As a science fair judge but not a science fair proponent, I would suggest
that the science fairs are the single most active promoter of this concept.
Take a look at the required format of your local middle or high school
science fair or many web sites such as:

I agree. I've judged at science fairs and seen the same thing. But I
doubt the folks who write the science fair guidelines are the same
ones who wrote the course transfer guidelines that Michael wrote
about. I suspect that the people who are responsible for the science
fair guidelines are more likely to be education school products than
science majors, as are, I might add, the people most responsible for
the continuation of this fable in school science texts.

This is a testable hypothesis.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell