Re: possibly OT: NYT article on GA creationism/evolution debate

At 10:35 2002/08/24, Hugh Haskell wrote:

While we have some ideas about how life *might* have arisen spontaneously,
we have never successfully created life, or even generated anything close
enough to argue that we even know "in principle," how it happened. And
evolution does not deal with that, either. Evolution talks about "descent
with modification," and not "the origin of life."

Given that Darwin's "On the Origin of Species" has a title that sounds so
much like the last quoted phrase in Hugh's message, I cannot help wondering
whether much of the current philosophical war over evolution could have
been sidestepped had Darwin selected a title such as "On Descent Through
Modification" instead.

--MB