E^2 - p^2 = m^2

I wrote:
The law that you want to remember is E^2 - p^2 c^2 = m^2 c^4

Then Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I would not refer to a 4-vector in the 4th week of the first
physics course.
the E=m*c^2 formula
(make p=0 above) is well known (but not well understood).

I stand by my suggestion!

Starting therefrom you can derive
-- E = m c^2 in the zeroth-order approximation
-- KE = p^2 / 2m in the first-order approximation
-- E = pc in the opposite (relativistic) limit

thereby achieving a unified understanding of several things.
This illustrates the power and unity of physics. Four-vectors.
Conservation laws. Low-order expansions. It's hard to imagine
anything more central to what "physics" means to me.

Most of university physics courses in the
US are not based of what students are expected to know from
a high school physics course.

Well, yes and no. Learning proceeds from the known to the
unknown. Two of the three points itemized above make contact
with things I would expect students to remember from high
school. The new makes contact with the old. The profound
makes contact with the superficial.