Versions of FCI

I was trying to interpret the results of an FCI pre-test to see just what
ideas the students were having trouble with. After looking on-line
briefly, it would appear there are actually at least 3 versions of the FCI
-
* the original, 29 questions, ~1990
* a revision, 29 questions, but slightly rewritten and reordered, ~1995
* a second revision, 30 questions and again reordered, ???

Does anyone have the reasons behind these changes? I've been using the 30
question version - is that the currently accepted version to use?

I wanted to be able to say "my students all missed #26" and compare to
other people's experiences, but clearly that won't work easily, since the
numbers change from one version to the next.

On a more positive note, I did find a list of which concepts go with which
questions, but it wasn't for the 30 question version I used, so I will need
to"translated" it for the other version - and decide how to classify the
new question.

Tim Folkerts

Department of Physics
Fort Hays State University