Re: kinematics language -- Re: kinematics, traditional or not

Your are exactly correct, and I would not have written to a student what
I wrote to Tina.
The problem has a deeper aspect. We tend to visualize in polar
coordinates, but compute in cartesian...I agree a gross
over-generalization. The average person is concerned with magnitude
change and not with direction. Therefore the notion of vector gets
overlaid on the notion of scalar in our language.

If you use bigger and smaller in a cartesian representation, you have
mixed language, because bigger and smaller is a statement about magnitude.
Cartesion vector components can get more positive or more negative, but
to say they get bigger or smaller confuses the issue.

joe

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002,