Re: kinematics, traditional or not

The problem arrises when you want to talk about negative accelerations.
They are likely to see decceleration as a different conceptual thing,
rather than the negative, or opposite of acceleration. There will also be
a problem with negative velocities have positive accelerations.

They need to see that when a ball rises the velocity decreases at the
same rate that it increases as it falls, and conclude for themeselves in
the end that the acceleration is the same in both cases.

Sorry to say, but you've been in calm water, the rapids lie ahead.

Good luck,

joe

On Tue,
27 Aug
2002, Tina Fanetti wrote:

That is certainly contrary to my experience. I think students have =
great deal of trouble visualizing acceleration, and I think that the
research shows that as well. <<

I have started covering this in my general physics course today. Thi=
s is a college algebra based course so the derivatives must stay in a=
box far far away. =20
They didn't seem to have a problem today with visualizing acceleratio=
n. I asked and they all were like cars....they are advertised as goi=
ng from 0 to 60 mph in like 5 seconds or when getting onto an interst=
ate. =20

I showed a little simulation involving constant velocity and constant=
acceleration, maybe it helped. I will see next class if they got it=
.

Also I do also have the a=3Dg thing all the time. I think it is beca=
use it is not overly clear in the books sometimes...

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662