Re: dominos on a chessboard-advanced version (was Re: multi-step reasoning)

Let's make the problem more interesting, then.
Definition: A covering is a 2-dimensional arrangement of the dominos on
the chessboard, and is identified by the locations of the two empty
spaces. That is, different orientations of dominos with the same two
empty spaces are to be regarded as identical.
Problem: How many possible coverings are there?
Hints:(1) The two vacant spaces must be of different colors.
(2) The construction to which Chuck is responding tells you how to
identify impossible coverings.
(3) The number of possible coverings is less than 1024.