Re: creationism wars

The issue, IMHO, is not whether all groups have one
characteristic or all characteristics. When groups
propose presenting the creation legend as a valid
alternative to explanations which are evidence-based,
no matter how incomplete, that flashes a big warning
light in front of me. Whether all groups want a
theocracy is irrelevant; many of these groups are VERY
well organized and use intellectually dishonest means
of gaining power. I think John D. is right on when he
places all fundamentalist regimes under the same tent.
The political power and ability to set the agenda for
debate of the fundamentalist Christian movement is
extremely dangerous. Look around the world at contries
that are or have been fudamentalist anything; the view
is NOT pretty. John Barrere

James Mackey <jmackey@HARDING.EDU> wrote:
It would seem that in discussing this issue we would
be more careful
about broad sweeping statements about either
viewpoint. There are a
number here that I would question..

"VERY well-organized groups who seem to have as
their goal a Christian
theocracy in this country." Do you mean all of
these groups who want to see some presentation of
alternative views of origins are seeking to
establish a religeous thoecracy in this country?
"All too often, the forces of reason fight reactive
battles."
Does this mean that all those on the other side do
not use reason in their arguments also?

"Unless this changes, we will continue to have
"leaders" who rely on
repetition and volume as a substitute for thought."
I'm not sure who "leaders" are here unless they are
political leaders?
Is this true of all?
James Mackey

John Barrer wrote:

This ongoing thread has been a great read. One can
only hope that as the (reported) large cohort of
science teachers retire, they become politically
active and provide effective offensive (as opposed
defensive) opposition to the VERY well-organized
groups who seem to have as their goal a Christian
theocracy in this country. All too often, the
forces
of reason fight reactive battles. Unless this
changes,
we will continue to have "leaders" who rely on
repetition and volume as a substitute for thought.
John Barrere