Re: Beichner's book

Hi.
Well, I'm fully prepared to hear the chins hit the
desktops and the whispers of "Joe's an idiot" when I
say this, but I don't care. Here goes. Traditional
kinematics has GOT to go! It's the "bane of introductory
physics instruction" (Paul Hewitt's quote, not mine). It's
boring to teach, and it's more boring to sit through as a
student. There' s no useful physics there either (cue the
dropping chins). All of the results of traditional
kinematics can be derive much more elegantly from
conservation principles. Break with tradition and trash
traditional kinematics and start with dynamics from day
one.

Cheers,
Joe Heafner - Instructional Astronomy and Physics
Home Page http://users.vnet.net/heafnerj/index.html
I'll never be able to afford a Lexus, but I do have a Mac. Same thing.
DO NOT USE MY EMAIL ADDRESS ANYWHERE ON THE WEB!