From: James Mackey [mailto:jmackey@HARDING.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 11:33 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: possibly OT: NYT article on GA
creationism/evolution debate

It certainly depends upon what you mean by "evolution" as to
whether or
not the argument is over details and not the idea. The term evolution
means different things to different people : to some it means the
demonstrated fact that speciation occurs, to other it means that human
being developed from chance encounters of certain molecules (which in
turn developed from chance encounters of individual atoms). I do not
have to be a paleobiologist, etc. to know that these are two very
different ideas.
James Mackey
Hugh Haskell wrote:

Evolution is certainly one that has achieved that level
of consensus. The arguments among evolutionary scientists today are
over the details, not the idea.