Re: multi-step reasoning and Joule-Thompson

At 20:22 -0500 8/22/02, quoting me, cliff parker wrote:

I recall hearing about a single trapped positron that was
transported from, I believe, Boulder to Cambridge, by truck. I think
it was lost on the return trip when the cooling system failed. If a
positron can be kept from colliding with any real matter for a period
of several days, I suspect that should qualify as a long enough mean
free path.

If you or anyone else can provide additional information about this I would
be very interested in reading more.

I wish I could provide more information. Perhaps someone else has the
information. I heard it at a talk at an AAPT meeting within the past
two or three years, probably at a winter meeting, and it was a
plenary talk, so shouldn't be too hard to find, if you look through
the old Announcers. My memory for the details is pretty fuzzy--I
hadn't thought much about this until the subject of perfect vacuums
came up today, and I recalled that the speaker made some claims about
his vacuums that are close to what I said.

Sorry I can't be more specific at this moment. I'm up to my eyeballs
in a deadline and can't spare the time to do the research.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>