Re: Trying to keep cool

I disagree. blow in, if the fan is on a lower floor, out if upper, as someone else
suggested to assist normal convection. I do both.

Orchard (now Sears) sells a window fan designed for Hades. The auto feature is set
"way" too high. Off at 85 (deg. F) max. speed @ 65. Someday I hope to readj.
it to 65 and 60. For now I turn it on as soon as the out side temp. < inside
(usually ~ 1900) and off when about equal (~ 1000). I also cover the skylight
with a sheet of corrugated cardboard on sunny days. When Gate Keeper asked why I
did this (ugly), I had her stand under the skylight while I removed the card. It
was like opening a hot kitchen oven's door.

Pasco sells an evaporated Si thermopile with an alumina ("sapphire based") window.
They claim it's flat from ~ vis. to 40 microns. I think wrong: 0.25 to 4 microns.
Anyway it demonstrates well that the night sky, fog less, is very cold, while not
so when foggy.

A fan "blows" a narrow stream, but it "sucks" from all directions like a
contracting sphere.

That's why one may construct a Xmas tree globe pin wheel that spins when their
Helmholtz resonance is excited by speakers.

bc

Wolfgang Rueckner wrote:

Assuming a window fan (which completely fills the window opening),
the blowing versus sucking detail is not important. Wolfgang