Re: How much is too much?

2) I still think that time spent reading the textbook
a) is important, and
b) counts as part of the student's time-budget<<

I agree and I can assign reading all I want but that won't make the students read the book.

This is a 5 hour class that meets for 6 hours, 2 of which are lab. I am thinking that we will cover about a chapter every 1.5 week so that one assignment per chapter will balance out to about 1 set a week

Unfortunately, most of my students can't solve problems involving more than one step.
Anything that requires assumptions or manipulating equations they have trouble with.

My students can't seem to follow step by step problem solving methods.

You'd better have a plan for overcoming that deficiency. If
you don't deal with it, you're just perpetuating the grotesque
misimpression that all problems have one-step solutions.<<

I am working on that. that is one of the challenges I am trying to address. Is it better to give fewer, yet harder problems or give a mix or something else.

Do you have any concrete suggestions? I read that discussion you sent me..

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429