Re: In-class Examples

When you give lectures, do you do the examples problems
already done = in the book for the students? =20

No - but sometimes I will do a similar problem (my way -
not necessaily the book's way)

Usually I have been taking examples from different books
that way the=
students have 2x the worked out examples but some of my
former stude=
nts complained.

Students complain - get used to it. You can give them the
exact problems to study for for a test and someone will
complain he did poorly because he thought you wouldn't
give those problems so he didn't study those problems.

What I was thinking this time around was to do end of the
chapter pro= blems. The book has like 60 problems. I can
only feasibly assign 10=
or so leaving plenty of problems, some of them which are
interesting=
.
Good idea - so long as they are similar.

I was thinking about doing the ones that are interesting and
the ones=
that I consider very good but too hard for my students as
in class e=
xamples along with ones that look remarkably like homework
problems.

I want to try and make this semester go better.

I hope it does for you.

Tim O'Donnell
Instructor of Physics and Chemistry
Celina High School
715 East Wayne Street
Celina, Ohio 45822
(419) 586-8300 Ext 1200 or 1201
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us

"Chance only favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur