Re: renewable energy

At 04:46 PM 8/11/02, Hugh Haskell,you wrote:

One problem with building dams that end up trapping the silt being
carried by the river is that the silt often serves to enhance the
usefulness of downstream farmlands. Removing that source means that
the farms that used to depend on the silting to renew their fields
now must depend on other methods that are often expensive...
//
Hugh Haskell

Talk of the nutrient effects of stream water reminds me that a week or two ago
was the annual tour of people's water gardens in this little town.
This turns out to be a rather gracious procession around folks' back yards,
where lily pads float in clear pools in which ornamental carp swim - and the
talk is of the lava rocks and the circulating pump - while the lemonade
glasses are proffered on the hot saturday afternoon. (True, I have yet
to see mint juleps on offer.)

The conversational topic that grabbed my attention was the enthusiasm
for the flush of the grey water from the lava rock filter barrel: one owner
mentioned that grey water from carp pond filters is a premium item,
which can reach the heights of $7 per gallon as a plant fertilizer.

I was too gracious to mention that my elixir of choice was
'chicken droppings' in passed years.
Nothing like it for pepping up the flowering border.
When we had one, that is.

Brian Whatcott
Altus OK Eureka!