An poll about "the four letter word"

Hello all.

I have a question about the word we all use to name the variable Q in
thermodynamics. I think we are all familiar with the downside of the
traditional "heat".

Would any on this list find it objectionable to use the word "heating"
for Q? The intention is that this word
(1) has a plain-language meaning very similar to the physical concept,
(2) has a position in language very much parallel to the word "work",
(3) and is similar enough to the traditional word that a change would
not be a Sisyphian task.

For the purposes of this poll, the operational definition of "find it
objectionable" is "would count it as a mark against a text book which
used that language."

If you don't think your response would benefit the list, feel free to
respond directly: <mailto:mclean@geneseo.edu>

Looking forward to your replies, and hoping that this email isn't the
phys-l equivalent of an untended campfire in Arizona...
--
Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5288