Re: Microwave Detector -Demo-Lab?

See also:
http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/pubs/TPT/TPTMay02Microwave/
for a description/discussion.

Dan M

1. I've used a household light bulb with metal base in a beaker of water
placed on the moving turn table in the microwave oven. The bulb lights and
brightness varies with position in the oven. Lower the power so the filament
doesn't burn out quickly.

I run the microwave oven for 30 - 60 seconds and the oven still works after
multiple demos (and 4 years of hot lunches). I can't guarantee YOUR microwave
oven won't be damaged.

2. I've heard of folks placing a grid of marshmallows in a microwave oven and
looking at the the pattern of warming/marshmallow size to calculate the
wavelength of the microwaves, but I have NOT tried this. I've also seen an
animation of this demo online (I could find it if you like)

Hope this helps,

Owen von Kugelgen
(HS physics teacher)