Tracing things back (was halfdecade)

In a message dated 8/3/2002 1:37:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
clement@HAL-PC.ORG writes:

All of which probably
goes back to pieces of 8, and the quarter being 2 bits.

Along these lines I remember someone telling me the story once of how that
size of the vehicle which carries the space shuttle can be traced back to
horse drawn carriages in Roman times, or something. Has anyone heard
something similar?

Justin