Re: Psychology & Education ( was: the Zapno (tm) anti-static device and dishonesty)

At 21:15 -0700 8/1/02, William Beaty wrote:

I've
wondered what I would have done if I was involved in Morton-Thiokol just
before launch. Would I have destroyed my career to expose any lies I knew
that my bosses were telling? If I was alone, and everyone else refused to
rock the boat, could I have done anything at all? Would I have even SEEN
the lies being told, or would I have talked myself into believing that
they were no big deal? After all, everyone lies.

These are the same questions that a soldier asks when he has missed
an important battle--How would I have behaved? Would I have been a
brave as my comrades? Or as craven as some? And if we are not even
placed in that position, we will never know. No matter what you think
might be the right thing to do when you are called upon to lay it on
the line, no one knows how they will behave at that moment, until it
happens. Is it better to have been tested and found wanting than
never to have been tested at all? I wish I knew the answer to that.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>