Re: Yucca Mtn. This should raise some hackles

BTW, why are we so much more worried about shipping spent rods than
fresh ones, which are being shipped all the time with no apparent
controversy. There may be a good explanation for this. I just don't
know one.

I was wondering about this too, but then had an idea. Presumably the mass
& volume are similar before and after use. However, the uranium fuel has a
1/2 life of ~10^9 years, while the waste is ~10^3 yr. This means an equal
amount of material is 10^6 more radioactive. Also, the shorter half-life
means higher energy radiation, which further increases the danger.

Tim Folkerts
Department of Physics
Fort Hays State University
Hays, KS 67601