plug and chug

There has been some discussion of problems that are not "plug-and-chug",
but if there were any examples, I missed them. So here are two from my
weekly 15 minute quizzes. The text was "The Mechanical Universe", the
course was calculus based, notes and calculators were not permitted.

1. The same skier comes off the hill and stops on a
level spot. Her friend pushes the skier forward with a force of 15.0 N.
Find the skier's acceleration. (The coefficient of friction was given as
.0500, the skier's mass as 75.0 kg).

2. 1. A 100. Kg bomb lying in a field suddenly explodes into 3 pieces
having respective masses of 20.0, 30.0 and 50.0 Kg. The 20.0 Kg piece is
thrown horizontally North with an initial speed of 25.0 m/s; the 30.0 Kg
piece is thrown horizontally East with an initial speed of 40.0 m/s (5
POINTS EACH)
a. How much is the net momentum of the bomb before the explosion?
b. How much is the net momentum of the 3 pieces after the
explosion?

(there were also the obvious "plug-and-chug" parts).

Regards

--
"But as much as I love and respect you, I will beat you and I will kill
you, because that is what I must do. Tonight it is only you and me, fish.