Re: teaching 'em to learn, to think, and to decide what's important

I may here, I believe, promote my favo. book on the subject: Innumeracy,
Mathematical Illiteracy and its Consequences; by John allen Paulos

bc

Tina Fanetti wrote:

ing that to my summer classes.

Most of them are extremely math phobic. I am trying to get them to u=
se their common sense or real life experience to look at a word probl=
em and see if the answer makes sense.

Now I tell them I don't expect them at this point to have a great fee=
l for the numbers but they are able to look and see that an extreme v=
alue may be wrong.

An example would be a cheetah running. If you get the cheetah runnin=
g faster than an airplane, perhaps there is a mistake somewhere. =
=20
Or if you buy something on sale and it rings up more than the origina=
l price...

I try to encourage the students to look at the answer and ask themsel=
ves, is this reasonable? =20

They are convinced they have no common sense when it comes to math bu=
t I am trying to convince them otherwise.

Tina F.

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429