Re: 'plug & chug' problems

At 13:49 -0400 7/25/02, John S. Denker wrote:

I'll give you a big hint: There are two ways of doing the
problem:
-- The clever way, and
-- the plug&chug way, which takes about 100 times longer.

I typically find that I don't see the "clever" way until after I have
done all or almost all of the "brute force and ignorance" way. But
let me tell you, a clever way found in this manner tends to stay with
you, because you have seen the alternative and it is grim!

The professors were quite blunt about it: they went over
the problem in class and explained that it was intended to
be an unforgettable lesson that being clever pays off.

Elbert Hubbard must be spinning in his grave!

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>