Howdy-

From: Bernard Cleyet, Sent: 7/22/02 2:40 AM
Pray tell, what is the fluid?

It is theater fog machine fluid. I bought an extra bottle, because I thought
that I might run out of the original supply. I hope to live long enough to
use the second bottle.

It is probably glycol mixed with water. I have had no reactions from anyone
around the lab, and it is supposedly on the GRAS list. Still, Equity tried
to ban it from theaters as they claimed it increased the chance of actors
developing asthma. The proposal failed, and many theaters still use it.
Equity admitted however, it posed no danger for the audience, as glycol
rarely instigates an attack itself. Rather they claimed that long term
exposure is the problem.

P.s. have you found a correlation with interest in the gun and general
curiosity in addition to science. Are any of the teachers who are not
interested in the gun still curious, excited, or whatever by their
field, or are they just "dead".

They seem to be interested in their own fields. They just wonder what the
point of the gun is. Basically they ask, "So?" or "Who cares?"

To the others who have talked about how milk in water works fine, I agree,
but I don't always want to submerge my lasers and equipment. Chalk dust
makes everyone cough. Cigarette smoke is perfect, but, well, not at a high
school.

Incense is popular with the students, but it is designed not to make much
smoke. The flavors often cause allergic reactions in me. I also break out
from perfume and cologne.

The chemistry teacher is fond of mixing a concentrated base and acid to make
what he calls, "an ionic fog." It works great, but I am not comfortable
around the stuf that likes to eat through my skin.

Currently, I use one of those manual aerosols. It is sold in cooking shops
for making your own cooking spray. It makes a relatively fine mist, but it
gets everything soggy.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover

Marc "Zeke" Kossover