Re: Boise: anyone want a smoke-ring gun?

The old methods of visualizing light beams was smoke
from a cigarette or chalk dust from an eraser. A couple
of drops of milk in water, combined with smoke in air,
can be used to demonstrate refraction, for example, by
using a laser pointer.

Kossom wrote:

Howdy-

I have already purchased one of these, and they are remarkably cool. They
fire smoke rings as advertised, and I find them endlessly fascinating.

The smoke has no odor, except in ridiculously high concentrations. It leaves
no deposits behind that I have found so far, being way ahead of soap
bubbles.

Their biggest advantage is that they are an acid test for whether or not a
person is interested in science. I got mine while summer school was still
going on, and I sat around playing with it in the teachers' lounge and
outside my classroom. The school's science teachers and most interested
science students found the thing incredibly neat and would sometimes
actively take it from me to play with it.

Those members of the faculty who have shown no interest in science found the
Zero Blaster pointless, which of course it is, not like it is going to cure
cancer, but it's cool.

* * *

I have been trying to rig it to make fog for lasers but I have been
unsuccessful. I figure that its release mechanism is designed to keep the
fog holed up in the drum. Perhaps if I cut the top off? It reminds of this
project

<http://www.netcomuk.co.uk/~wwl/smokegun.html>

where he makes a syringe powered smoke generator.

Seems like this is similar and potentially cheaper. Do you think it might
work? If so, sign me up for another.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover