Re: Graphing Calculators and Intro Physics

Easy to do; just make problems that are based on
tabular data and have them plot (using lists). Start
with linear data and as (if) they become more
competent, move to simple non-linear data that is
easily "linearized". This also provides opportunities
to reinforce the physical meaning of the y-intercept
(did I mention I have a thing for that?)

I would strongly suggest that you start them with
metersticks and stopwatches to get lab data before
moving to the "high-tech" toys. Especially with
lower-level kiddos, it's far too easy for them to
simply see the electronic toys that generate numbers
without any feeling for what they reprsent. John
Barrere
--- Tina Fanetti <FanettT@QUEST.WITCC.CC.IA.US> wrote:
Oh we have computers and motion sensors and all the
software from Pas=
co. I guess what I was trying to do was incorporate
more graphing th=
roughout the course and not just during lab.

Tina

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429