Re: dielectric constant

How are damping coefficients of atomic levels calculated?
Are they used as adjustable parameters [to match the
experimental n(w) function] or are they calculated
independently? I am referring to the formula 31.20,
on page 31-8 of Faynman, vol II. In my mind they
are "frictional" coefficients of some kind. Perhaps
I should not ask such questions, considering my
very limited familiarity with the subject.
Ludwik Kowalski

"John S. Denker" wrote:

The line shape, I suppose, depends on parameters of two
levels. How can this be translated into the frequency
dependence of n or K?

You mean when there are more than two levels?
Isn't that covered by the summation-symbol in Feynman
volume I equation 31.20?