Re: dielectric constant

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I also notice a discrepancy between the plots of
n versus w. In Feynman (page 31-8, vol I) n=1
at very law w, which is not true if we identify n
with the square root of the dielectric constant, K.

What's the discrepancy?

Only in gasses is K very close to unity at w->0.

So why not conclude that figure 31-5 (on page 31-8)
represents a dilute gas? Further evidence in support
of this conclusion comes from the fact that n peaks
at around n=2 or n=3; in a dense substance it could
be a million or so. Atomic resonances have high Q.

Somehow I feel that nobody can
calculate n(w) quantitatively to produce agreement
with experimental data for real substances,

What's the evidence for this inability? Spectroscopy
is a pretty well-established discipline. Spectroscopists
have been calculating lineshapes to high accuracy for a
long time. Really high accuracy.