Re: NYS Physics Regents exam

========= From the NY Times web site (3 July 2002) ========

Statewide, the proportion of students who failed the exam tripled this
year, to 33 percent from 11 percent. Only 16 percent this year scored
between 85 and 100, compared with 33 percent last year. About 40,000
students statewide took the exam in June.

Oh my! 11% of one's students fail the test and the instructors are
comfortable? -- Now we find that really 33% of ones students deserve to
fail!!

And no one is complaining about the instruction?!? Everyone complains
about the test?

Further only 16% of the student merited a B+ or better. Gee, that is
terrible! Poor souls! Looks like a vacation in Lake Wobegone where some
in the system think that the students are _all_ above average.

In one incarnation I taught at a college in NY. I can attest that 33% of
the regents students -- at least of those who ended up at that college --
_deserved_ to fail. Yet still no one complains about the instruction. The
union is a powerful force in the NY. Sorry Herb. (;-) Brooklyn is an
exception.

It must be the test's fault.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com