Re: AP Physics advice

Thank you for your insights,Rick. I understand your frustration completely
with teachers wanting to know "the bottom line" on teaching to the test. I
think there are a lot of pressures on teachers today that were not there
when I first started teaching 25 years ago. Teaching is not about teaching
anymore...it's about 'containing' hormone-driven,unmotivated kids in 50
minute increments...kids who want to be entertained, lack critical thinking
skills and don't understand the value of hard work. Life is too easy, and
unfortunately money is the root of all evil and the great distorter of
kids'values. And now, I will get off my soapbox...
My son is one of those kids who picks up concepts quickly and is very
strong in math. He finished the Zitzewitz text this year. I guess I am
looking for understanding of material vs. just passing the AP. Would this
be a good scenario for using Sherwood and Chabay? We are not in a time
crunch here, as he is not yet in high school(but takes several hs classes).
Would you recommend taking the Physics B and C tests? Any problem with
that? Do you think it would be realistic to cover the material in one year?
He may want to work in mathematical physics someday so I am trying to cover
the right bases for him. Do you think I could cover labs online/with texts.
ANy recommendations? Thanks.