Re: motivating * knowing the subject

I wrote:

Teaching is maybe 10% knowing the subject matter and 90%
motivating the students. They could have gotten the subject
matter from books.

... which was more-or-less OK in context, but won't withstand
detailed scrutiny.

John Clement wrote:
Incidentally there have been several studies that showed that students learn
much more when the teacher has better mastery of the subject. So content
mastery is actually a very large factor.

Good point. The percentages I gave are not right in general.

Interestingly, changing the percentages doesn't fix the problem.

The key word here is "factor" (in contrast to "term"). That is,
motivating_the_students (M) and subject_area_knowledge (K) are
!!multiplicative!! not additive. Both are required; neither will
make up for a lack of the other. We have
success ~ M*K
(not M+K) so the idea of percentage is not directly applicable.

================

If we now make the (questionable) assumption that things are
differentiable, we obtain
d(success) ~ M dK + K dM
which is additive, so percentages might apply in particular cases.

I suspect the 90%/10% numbers made sense to me only because of
my narrow experience -- I've taught only in situations where I
was very much in command of the subject, so the "K dM" term was
dominant for me. In contrast, if you made me a major-league
baseball pitching coach, or asked me to teach sculpture, I'm sure
I would get a brutally keen reminder of the importance of knowing
the subject.