Re: AP Physics advice

No to the Feynman. Feynman is wonderful to read once you have at least a BS
in Physics. As a first course--no way. [My FIRST course in E&M was out of
Feynman--the books were just newly published--and it was a disaster for
almost everyone in the class.] Volume II math level is college calculus
with a VERY strong understanding of vectors.

The B test is based on the Algebra level courses often taught to BIO
students. Serway has a text at this level (the code words are 'COLLEGE
PHYSICS' for texts at this level). Knowing (understanding) _all_ the
material in these texts AND having developed reasonable problem solving
skills (far from expert--but a bit above simple plug & chug) would all but
guarantee success on the AP B test. The C test is Calculus based but much
more limited in content. The tests have been based on the Serway & Giancoli
type texts--haven't seen one for a few years so there may have been some
changes. So, while working through Sherwood and Chabay would probably be
better in terms of real understanding of the material, it might not be the
best preparation for the AP test.

You should be able to get the curriculum guides for both Physics B and C
tests from the AP people and compare these to any text. Both tests stress
problem solving so that is a crucial component.

I used to give summer workshops for HS teachers who were going to teach the
Physics B AP courses. After a couple of years with teachers who were
really interested in developing appropriate courses (for all intents and
purposes--College level, Algebra-based courses) the participants started
becoming obsessed with the test itself. When I wouldn't 'teach them how to
teach to the test' they were unhappy. However, I will still stand by my
advice that the best way to prepare students for the AP tests is to teach a
good College level course.

A dilemma for both the AP instructors and indeed the AP testing folks is
that the traditional College course has come under attack (perhaps
justifiably) from the educational research people. It is probably not the
best thing to be covering a typical College Physics text in one year of HS,
but as long as that is what is happening in _most_ colleges, and as long as
the AP program is primarily aimed at trying to allow students to 'test out
of' college courses, then the AP tests need to reflect the majority of
courses. However, if the nature of the college courses changes (i.e.
Sherwood and Chabay replaces Serway/Giancoli) then the AP tests will follow
suit.

Hope this is of some help.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
NEW: Photo Realistic Laboratory Simulations
XP compatible updates now available.