Re: math (in)competence

(You can quantify this in terms of Shannon entropy: a symbol
with _a priori_ probability P conveys -log(P) bits of
information, so the unexpected ones are the most informative.)<<<

Forgive my ignorance but I have no idea what that quote means....

Math at WIT
a^2 + b^2 = (a+b)^2
x+y=xy
4^5/4^3=1
(mistakes my elementary students made on the last test)
I could go on but it gives me nightmares.

I don't know what this means without more context.
*) This is an algebra class, right?
*) What makes you think they _should_ know such things?
(They weren't born knowing it all.)
-- Do you consider those items prerequisites for the class?
-- When the students signed up, did they _know_ those were the
prerequisites?
-- And/or were those items covered in class? YES LIKE EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!
*) How do we reconcile this with the "when do you start teaching"
question?<<<<

No those are not pre-requisites and no, they don't know them before coming to class. But I would expect that when I say that those things are wrong nearly everyday that at some point they would clue in. Yesterday i gave them a test. The last problem I did in class was a^2 + b^2 not equal (a+b)^2 . This was on the test. They can't remember that fact for 5 minutes?

I suspect only 10% of the students get fractions before the course.

If 90% of those who sign up for the class don't have the
prerequisites, there is something desperately wrong with the
enrollment process.
<<<

The class in which fractions are taught doesn't have a prerequisite. I don't teach fractions in algebra. Not that my algebra students know fractions because when I give them problems involving fractions they can't do them.

I have nurses to be, electricians to be, contractors to be, police
to be amoungst others. They frighten me. Really bad.

Some of these people are going to be nurses in charge of sick people. If they can't do math how are they supposed to give the right doses to patients? How are they going to know when too much is too much? That is what frightens me is that I may in the future be in the care of these students.

I don't think you understand what it is like to teach at this level. These are both essentially remedial courses I teach. I think you should go to your local community college and teach a math class for a day. You will be shocked. You can come here and teach my students.

Tina Fanetti
Physics Instructor
Western Iowa Technical Community College
4647 Stone Ave
Sioux City IA 51102
712-274-8733 ext 1429