Re: Astronomy activity help

Galileo wasn't just a awestruck spectator who sat glued to his eyepiece.
He was a fair draftsman who made the first lunar observational sketches.
Also, the
mathematically-minded astronomer was the first to attempt to measure the
height of lunar mountains. Basing his work on careful measurements of the

distance of the illuminated mountain peaks past the terminator, he
applied simple geometry to derive some realistic figures for the heights
of certain mountains.
Although the mountains are of comparable height to the Earth's, they are
proportionately larger because the Moon is just one quarter the Earth's
diameter.

AND shadow method

http://www.physast.uga.edu/~jss/1120L/LunarMount.html

bc

"Robert W. Arts" wrote:

Greetings All,

I hope the summer is finding you all well.

The reason for this note is our upcoming summer science and math day
camp. Each year we host two hundred middle school students (grades 5
- 8) for two consecutive weeks (5 & 6 one week and 7 & 8 the other) of
day camp. Any way, I'm looking for an astronomy activity that these

cut