Re: Is it necessary or helpful to teach work (W) in introductory HS physics? (long)

Daniel,

I would say it is much more important to teach energy
storage and transfer rather than making work the crux
of your energy instruction. Work or more appropriately
working is the process of transferring energy into or
out of a system. This concept is based on the first
law of thermo and can be grasped by high school
students.

Relying too heavily on the mathematical definition of
work is problematic for many high school students. I
recall my physics teacher dragging a box around the
room, them telling us he did no work. This type of
demonstration leads to confusion. I would ask him to
do that all day and then tell me he did no work!
By applying an external force to the system, he added
kinetic and thermal energy to the system!

For a very cool approach to teaching energy storage
and transfer look at the Modeling Physics materials
at:

http://modeling.asu.edu

Sean McKeever

--- Daniel Price <dprice@JEFFCO.K12.CO.US> wrote:
I did not find a discussion of the above-referenced
topic in a cursor=
y=20
search of the archive. I hope that those of you who
have argued the=
=20
subject exhaustively will forgive me for
reintroducing it.

In teaching first-year, non-AP physics at the
high-school level, I ha=
ve=20
noticed that work seems to be the difficult topic
for students to=
=20
understand. The curriculum as I have implemented it
covers
W =3D F =95 d and W =3D delta-K, and were students
able to grasp the =
abstract=20
nature of work, we would presumably have made an
elegant transition b=
etween=20
study of force and examination of energy.

The difficulty that we all seem to face is in
covering essential mate=
rial=20
to the necessary level of depth in the allotted
time. Experience has=
=20
taught me that regardless of how quickly I wish to
cover certain topi=
cs,=20
the class will move at its own pace. Ultimately, I
am left with too =
little=20
time to give fundamental topics (such as
conservation of mechanical e=
nergy)=20
their due.

The question (finally), then, is: how important is
the topic of work=
to a=20
solid understanding of basic physics? Can I
sacrifice W, allowing mo=
re=20
time for energy conservation (and for whatever else
needs shoring up)=
?

Because this question is rather open-ended, I am
happy to list the=
=20
possibilities that I am exploring, should they
provide a helpful=20
"jumping-off point". Feel free to ignore them.

=09=95 Continuing as we have over the last few
years: W =3D F =95 d=
=3D delta-K =3D=20
-delta U
=09 [I am oversimplifying for purposes of
brevity.]

=09=95 Eschewing the topic of work altogether, and
discussing conser=
vation of=20
mechanical
=09 energy in greater depth.

=09=95 Discussing work in the context of mechanical
advantage and si=
mple machines
=09 (i.e. using a more concrete definition, rather
than the abstrac=
t=20
notion, of W)

I do have a preference, but am most willing to hear
the opinions of o=
thers=20
who have experienced similar quandaries. Thanks in
advance.

[For reference, our school (public, middle-class
suburban) has four p=
hysics=20
offerings (total physics enrollment--150):
conceptual physics, physi=
cs,=20
honors physics, and AP Physics C.
The honors-level course is used to prepare students
for college or AP=
=20
physics courses. The most popular of the four
offerings is "plain-ol=
'=20
physics", taught as an introduction with some eye
toward college-prep=
=20
although most of those enrolled do not plan careers
in physical scien=
ce or=20
engineering. The question "do work or don't do
work" is meant to add=
ress=20
the needs of students in physics; those in honors
and AP should and c=
an=20
handle the abstract approach to the topic of work.]

=====