Is it necessary or helpful to teach work (W) in introductory HS physics? (long)

I did not find a discussion of the above-referenced topic in a cursory search of the archive. I hope that those of you who have argued the subject exhaustively will forgive me for reintroducing it.

In teaching first-year, non-AP physics at the high-school level, I have noticed that work seems to be the difficult topic for students to understand. The curriculum as I have implemented it covers
W = F • d and W = delta-K, and were students able to grasp the abstract nature of work, we would presumably have made an elegant transition between study of force and examination of energy.

The difficulty that we all seem to face is in covering essential material to the necessary level of depth in the allotted time. Experience has taught me that regardless of how quickly I wish to cover certain topics, the class will move at its own pace. Ultimately, I am left with too little time to give fundamental topics (such as conservation of mechanical energy) their due.

The question (finally), then, is: how important is the topic of work to a solid understanding of basic physics? Can I sacrifice W, allowing more time for energy conservation (and for whatever else needs shoring up)?

Because this question is rather open-ended, I am happy to list the possibilities that I am exploring, should they provide a helpful "jumping-off point". Feel free to ignore them.

• Continuing as we have over the last few years: W = F • d = delta-K = -delta U
[I am oversimplifying for purposes of brevity.]

• Eschewing the topic of work altogether, and discussing conservation of mechanical
energy in greater depth.

• Discussing work in the context of mechanical advantage and simple machines
(i.e. using a more concrete definition, rather than the abstract notion, of W)

I do have a preference, but am most willing to hear the opinions of others who have experienced similar quandaries. Thanks in advance.

[For reference, our school (public, middle-class suburban) has four physics offerings (total physics enrollment--150): conceptual physics, physics, honors physics, and AP Physics C.
The honors-level course is used to prepare students for college or AP physics courses. The most popular of the four offerings is "plain-ol' physics", taught as an introduction with some eye toward college-prep although most of those enrolled do not plan careers in physical science or engineering. The question "do work or don't do work" is meant to address the needs of students in physics; those in honors and AP should and can handle the abstract approach to the topic of work.]