Re: X-rays Can be Dangerous

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bernard Cleyet" <anngeorg@PACBELL.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 12:16 AM
Subject: Re: X-rays Can be Dangerous

A reasoned critique, thanks.

However, (off the top of my head) I think Goffman's number is world
wide. I suppose someone has checked cancer rates as a function of
altitude -- anyone read this?

A quick search shows that no cancer correlation has been seen for variations
in background radiation with higher levels being seen at altitude in places
like Denver. However, looking a little closer, it is clear that _some_
cancers are altitude dependent--such as skin cancer from increased levels of
UV. On the other hand, Radon exposure is normally less at altitude. So
_probably_ there are competing factors here that cancel when looking at
overall effects, but altitude IS a factor in some (fairly obvious) cancer
risks.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
NEW: Photo Realistic Laboratory Simulations
XP compatible updates now available.