Re: Quantum Lab Experiment Question

Thanks! I will give it a try tomorrow. Should be most interesting.

Scott

on 6/19/02 5:22 PM, Wolfgang Rueckner at rueckner@FAS.HARVARD.EDU wrote:

Putting crossed polarizers in front of the slits is relatively easy
(I've done it plenty of times). Cut the polarizer material at a 45=
=9A
angle with respect to the polarization axis. Butt two such pieces
together with tape so that the polarizing axes of the two pieces end
up 90=9A w.r.t. each other, but 45=9A to the vertical (the slits, I
presume, are vertical too). Put this dual polarizing mask over the
double slit and tape into place. (If you use slits with a separation
of 0.5 mm, or even 0.25 mm, this is not too difficult to do.) Having
done this, you will not get Young's double-slit interference pattern
-- just two superimposed single-slit patterns. Now put a vertically
oriented polarizer downstream from the slits (between slits and
screen) and you will secure Young's double-slit pattern once more.

Wolfgang

Hi
I need some help. I am trying to prepare a quantum unit for a high s=
chool
level physics class. The unit will only be a week long and is intend=
ed to
serve as an overview of quantum.

Here is my question:

Would it be possible to ACTUALLY demonstrate (with HS equipment) tha=
t the
interference pattern produced by the double slit experiment is destr=
oyed by
making an observation between the slits and the screen?

Plenty of gedanken experiments in books and on web, but I really wan=
something real. Plenty of simulations on the web, but nothing real.

The most I can find is some talk of polarizers placed after the slit=
s. Would
I be able to do this with cheap polaroid sun glass material? Would t=
ry
today, but it means getting to the school during summer break and op=
ening
the lab. Would be willing try if someone has constructive advice.

TIA

Scott

--
Scott Goelzer