Course Suggestions, if you please...

I've jsut drawn up my teaching load for next fall, and I'm hoping that I can
draw on your experience. The course is Applications of Modern Physics at
the undergraduate level, and I've been given a somewhat free reign in what I
do.

As I understand the current incarnation, we're breaking the class into two
parts, the first half is an astrophysics concentration, and the second half
is optics. What I would like is some suggestions as to what you might cover
in the optics half, what book you would use, and what labs would go well
with the subject.

This is my first attempt at this sort of class (having done intro physics,
and some upper level mechanics and thermo), and I'm trying to get a good
grip on the topic. Right now, I've just got this vague idea for holography,
wave packets, and Fourier decomposition. I'd like to get some more ideas,
though...

Thanks for the help!

Dr. Gordon P. Smith
Visiting Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608