Re: how to judge creative ideas (was: barometer parable)

I think that projects to satisfy curiosity (learning new things),
or to promote self-confidence (solving problems that have
already been solved), are also worth pursuing. That is what
we want students to do, at their level. That is what we do
to keep up with new developments. The term, "Great
Physics Project" should not be limited to one kind of
greatness. But the issue of what is the best way of
spending tax money is very real and important. I do not
know what I would do if put in charge of such decisions.
Ludwik Kowalski

Referring to the cost/benefit analysis, John Denker wrote:

This is a very important topic. It is woefully neglected in
the usual educational process, up to and including the physics
PhD level. I wrote up some notes on how to evaluate research
projects and other creative, risky-but-worthwhile endeavors.
Please see:
http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/physics/projectology.htm

Section titles include:
1 Choose a Great Project