Re: how to judge creative ideas (was: barometer parable)

Hey let's put John in charge of research funding. We can shut down Fermi
Lab, all observatories including the Hubble, and most University labs. We
can then move all the money into applied research and try to come up with
technology that uses currently known science. After that, we're pretty much
SOL unless someone can divine both 'new' science and its practical
application all at once! [I think John's last statement is wrong...at least
in terms of monies spent. Seems that most of the expensive projects have
virtually NO short-term (or even a perceived long-term) 'practical' benefit
other than to satisfy our quest to understand!]

;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics