Re: felt dismissed

At 10:39 -0700 6/8/02, William Beaty wrote:

Seriously, in this case I think the cause of the students' troubles is the
K-12 mental model of the atom, where each atom supposedly contains the
proper number of electrons and is always neutral. A second cause is the
K-12 definition of the word "conductor", where "conductor" is any
substance which doesn't block the flow of electrons.

Until you get to the undergrad level, nobody ever tells you that in some
materials the outer electrons have left their atoms. Nobody ever tells
you that a "conductor" is not transparent to charge flow, but instead a
"conductor" simply contains mobile charges.

Good point, Bill. I know that when talking about it, I do take care
to always talk about the "free electrons" in a conductor, but I'm
not sure that I have been as explicit as perhaps I should have been
in emphasizing that point. I guess that I just never thought about it
as a student misconception. It would appear that I was wrong. I will
be more careful about that in the future.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>