Re: barometer parable

At 12:30 -0700 6/7/02, William Beaty wrote:

I don't quite know what to make of this. One technique of thinking is
the brainstorm/triage pair. These "skeptics" have apparently fallen
in love with "triage" or "idea bashing" to such an extent that they
perceive the "brainstorming" side of the process as some kind of sin.
As if Occam's Razor forbids brainstorming. It does! Brainstorming is
"multiplying entities."

Unfortunately, pure brainstormers eschew the part of this idea that
should make it work--the triage side. I have been in brainstorming
sessions where no one was allowed to criticize any of the idea
proposed, no matter how ridiculous ("ask Superman to come in a take
care of the problem"). It was painful. Brainstorming is a good
technique if the triage is kept in place and ideas can be critiqued
as you go. To do it otherwise is to check your brain at the door.

I refuse to do that.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell