Re: barometer parable

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, John S. Denker wrote:

It is amazing how many students finish their schooling having no
idea what a brainstorming session is, and being almost unable to
imagine generating multitudinous different answers to the same question.

On a similar note, I've recently hung out with some skeptical groups
(Seattle SSE, Philadelphia PhACT, and the JREF forum.)

One thing I note is that some "skeptics" absolutely loathe brainstorming.
They sneer at it and call it "speculation," as if the word "speculation"
is the worst label they can imagine.

I don't quite know what to make of this. One technique of thinking is
the brainstorm/triage pair. These "skeptics" have apparently fallen
in love with "triage" or "idea bashing" to such an extent that they
perceive the "brainstorming" side of the process as some kind of sin.
As if Occam's Razor forbids brainstorming. It does! Brainstorming is
"multiplying entities."

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L