Re: Optical toy

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Tony Wayne wrote:

I have a old mini baseball card (from cracker jack) where the pitcher
switches positions when you tilt the card at different angles.

(1)Does anyone know what these cards are called?

(2) Does anyone know how they are made/work?

Lenticular 3-D cards? I made one once. Jerryco (American Science
Surplus) had some plastic lens sheets with a cylinder lens array, where
each lens was about .7cm wide. By hand I used an art program to draw a
series of horizontally-compressed images, where each image was a 3D object
viewed from a different angle. Obviously these were VERY simple images:
just the letters 3D in a square frame, where the letters and the frame
were at two different depths. I placed each image on the printout so each
would be below one of the cylinder lenses.

The darned thing worked! WHen placed under the lenticular sheet (placed
at 1-F), you would see a big crappy image of the letters "3D" with a big
black frame, and the letters floated deep within the lenses, and the frame
was even deeper.

Pretty cool, eh?

This thing is bolted to the side of one of the huge stereo viewers in the
museum travelling exhibit "3D technology: a look in depth."

billb@eskimo.com http://amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 sciclub-list freenrg-L vortex-L webhead-L