Re: Unknown Apparatus (mercury)

" .... a dozen hygrometers, two nice
barometers."

Hg in hygrometers? Please explain. Also what have you used as
substitute for the Hg barometers?

bc who lives in Calif. where it's difficult to find Hg thermometers
(probably now illegal with a scientific exception)

Matt Jusinski wrote:

The binding post, block, and pins all ohm out as
common. It certainly could be from a counter. In any
event I'm not going to fill it with mercury to count a
pendulum swings. I have optical gates for that.

We have been making and effort to get Hg out of our
classrooms. This past year I've collected
mercury-containing devices from our HS science rooms.
About 100 thermometers, a dozen hygrometers, two nice
barometers. The chem storage will keep some as an
exhibit.

http://www.geocities.com/mjusinski/unknown.jpg

The grooved block is conductive???

The two stubs on the backside are perhaps for
physical mounting?

My guess would be that it's a mercury reservoir for
a 'homeopolar generator'.

A conductive disk on a horizontal axis. The axle is
one terminal and
the mercury pool is the other terminal. Put a
magnetic field across

http://www.geocities.com/mjusinski/unknown.jpg